March 29, 2009

Warming Up Our Smiles

I’ll put on the shades and do my slow walk,
Sit down for a while and enjoy a conversation
Show you that your smile is not in isolation.
We can laugh together, and enjoy the new weather.
Move our souls off the dull couch made of leather
Let’s put on our shades and have a nice talk.

Seeing you again always brings back my grin.
The little smirk I offer up on a special occasion.
My happiness right now needs not your persuasion.
Make the world a better place with all that we do.
It happens every year, but the blooming flowers seem so new.
So let me hold your hand and join our skin.

The song builds in my mind, but I don’t know the ending
It is eternally envisioned as I move to my own beat.
Uncompromising, I will refuse to accept such a shallow defeat. 
Reaching the climax, I fear the final bridge approaches.
But there remains an underlying rhythm with more to offer.
I will be suspending the ending, keeping the status on pending.

The sun in my face has created a slight burn,
But a burn you enjoy, that you savor and lust for all winter.
Bring me back to the days I climbed trees and laughed at splinters
Remembering when I awed in wonder at explosions in the sky
Never contemplating the chance that I may one day die
I held a curiosity of what lied around each turn.

My mind is in a constant state of time travel
I look back, I look forward, I look up and to the side,
But I forget to look down, down at my feet
I realize with no shoes I have been walking on this street
So lace me up, I am ready to run, ready to feel the warmth of the sun
Upon my face, upon my smile, give me the idea that I may stay awhile.

I think I will stay awhile, and enjoy the moment for what it’s worth.
Tomorrow I will run, and continue the journey around the earth.
But, tonight I will stay, stay here with you.
So we can continue to smile, just us two.
Because you are the world, and I love to travel
Because you are the world I would love to unravel.
 
 
By Scott Stephen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment